Okay. Uber revealed a new brand identity today and the Internet lit up like a flame-engulfed slot machine, ringing with abysmal OMGs and LMAOs. It goes to show you one thing . . . But first, a quick recap.
Facts About the Uber Rebranding
- It was led by Uber Founder + CEO Travis Kalanick and design director Shalin Amin
- Over half a dozen agencies were interviewed and none were deemed a fit
- The brand identity was developed with an in-house design team
- It took the Uber team 18 months to agree on five brand pillars
- The new brand patterns were inspired by bathroom tiles
- The Internet actually just melted
Some Bad Stuff People Said
We could try to compile a balanced list of both favourable and biting responses. But really, there is an overwhelming amount of the latter. Here’s a handful of noteworthy burns.
Uber’s rebrand suggests arrogance and inconsistency – Financial Times
Uber’s new rebranding reveals everything that’s wrong with Uber – Inc.
Uber’s rebrand tries to be ‘substantial,’ ends up closer to ‘confusing’ – TechSpot
Uber rebrands with location-specific “asshole” logos based on bathroom tiles – Dezeen
Don’t rebrand in-house.